Some forces want to disturb Punjab peace': Badal after Nanded attack

 

Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) president Sukhbir Singh Badal on Friday alleged that some forces were trying to disturb peace in Punjab and the country and viewed his party as a "hindrance" to their mission, a day after he was injured in a 'kirpan' attack at a gurdwara in Maharashtra's Nanded.

Badal (64), who was discharged from a hospital in Nanded on Friday afternoon, later arrived at Gurugram's Medanta Hospital for further treatment of his hand injury, local police said.

A hospital official said he had been admitted under the supervision of Dr Sanjay Mehendru, a plastic, aesthetic and reconstructive surgeon, and would undergo a surgery on his hand on Saturday.

Badal Says Will Never Allow Anti-national Forces to Control Situation

Speaking to reporters after his discharge from the Nanded hospital, the SAD chief said he would never allow "anti-national and anti-Punjab forces" to take control of the situation in Punjab or disturb peace in the state.

"A lot of forces do not want peace in Punjab and this country. They feel that the Shiromani Akali Dal is a hindrance to their mission," he said.

Badal said his late father and former Punjab chief minister Parkash Singh Badal had never compromised with such forces and had always stood for communal harmony and peaceful coexistence among different religious communities.

"My father was a chief minister. He maintained communal harmony and respect for religions... always stood for the idea that all communities and religions should live together happily."

"These forces tried to attack me a year back. Their mission is to take control of the situation in Punjab and disturb the peace, which as president of the Shiromani Akali Dal, I will never allow. My father also did not allow it," he said.

Both Attacks on Badal at Religious Places

He said the SAD's commitment to maintaining peace and brotherhood in Punjab would not change despite attempts to target its leadership.

The former Punjab deputy chief minister also drew a connection between Thursday's attack and the 2024 assassination attempt on him at the Golden Temple complex in Amritsar, saying that both incidents took place at places of deep religious significance to Sikhs.

"Both times they attacked me in the holiest places. First in the Golden Temple and second time in Takht Hazur Sahib (Mata Sahib)," he said.

On Thursday, Badal was attacked with a 'kirpan' (ceremonial dagger) by a member of the Nihang order at Gurdwara Mata Sahib Devan Ji Mugat on the outskirts of Nanded city. He sustained an injury to his hand when the alleged attacker attempted to target him.

The alleged attacker, identified as Jaspal Singh, was arrested and an investigation was launched. Police are yet to ascertain the motive behind the attack.

After the incident, Badal was taken to a local hospital where he underwent treatment. He was discharged on Friday afternoon before travelling to Gurugram for further medical care.

Badal's admission to the Gurugram hospital came a day after the attack left him, with what police and hospital authorities described as, a "serious injury" to his hand.

Attacker Works as Sewadar at Gurdwara

Despite the attack, Badal said he was not afraid and would continue to work for the people of Punjab and uphold the principles of communal harmony and brotherhood.

"I thank Guru Gobind Singh ji Maharaj as this is his land. The enemies of Punjab's peace tried a lot, but He saved me. I am not afraid and I am committed to Punjab's brotherhood," he said.

The attacker, identified as Jaspal Singh, was arrested. Singh, around 60-62 years old, was working as a sewadar or volunteer at the Gurdwara Mata Sahib Devan Ji Mugat for the past two years, police said.

In a post in X in Punjabi on Friday evening, Badal said the "shelter and support of the Gurus" were his only protection and expressed gratitude for having survived the attack

He said the incident at the Nanded gurdwara was a "vile act" that violated the sanctity of a holy place, but asserted that his "mind is free from any feelings of enmity or hatred" towards anyone.

"It is the Guru Sahib's benevolence at work, and my mind is immersed solely in humility and service.... free from any feelings of enmity or hatred," he said in the post.

Badal said he remained committed to humility and service and would continue to dedicate himself to the Sikh community.

He also thanked SAD workers, leaders and members of the Sikh community for their support and good wishes following the attack.

"From the depths of my heart, I am grateful to the countless brave members, workers, leaders, and the entire Sangat of Shiromani Akali Dal for their love and good wishes. Every moment of my life is devoted to repaying the debt of the love and blessings received from the Sangat," he said.

Badal invoked the legacy of his father and said Parkash Singh Badal had consistently worked to preserve communal harmony during his tenure as Punjab's chief minister.

He said respect for all religions had been a cornerstone of his father's approach to governance and maintained that the SAD would continue to uphold the same principles.

Badal also used a Punjabi saying to express his faith that divine protection had saved him from the attack.

"Jihde sir te Guru Sahib da hath hoye, ohnu koi aanch nahi aundi (one who has the Guru's blessings remains unharmed)", he said.

The SAD president said the party was prepared to make every sacrifice for Punjab and linked the state's development with the country's progress.

"Shiromani Akali Dal can make every kind of sacrifice because the development of Punjab is the development of the country for us," he said.

Latest Attack Comes After Attempt at Golden Temple

The latest attack came nearly eight months after Badal survived an assassination attempt at the Golden Temple in Amritsar in December 2025.

Badal was performing 'sewadar' duty after the Akal Takht pronounced 'tankhah' (religious punishment) for "mistakes" committed by the SAD government in Punjab from 2007 to 2017, when a former terrorist Narain Singh Chaura allegedly opened fire at Badal from a close range but missed as he was overpowered by a plainclothes policeman.

The audacious attack was captured on cameras of media persons who had gathered outside the Sikh shrine.

Referring to that incident in his Friday post, Badal said Guru Maharaj had then also "bestowed upon me the gift of life" so that he could continue serving the community.

He said the latest attack had similarly reinforced his belief that the Guru's blessings protected him. Badal reiterated that the SAD would remain committed to communal harmony, religious brotherhood and peace in Punjab and would not be deterred by threats or attacks.

He said he would continue to oppose any attempt to create unrest in the state and would work to ensure that peace and brotherhood were maintained.

The police investigation into Thursday's attack is underway. Officials said the motive behind the attack had not yet been established.

SAD leaders termed the attack an "intelligence failure". Senior leaders, including Badal's brother-in-law Bikram Singh Majithia, demanded a CBI or a high court-monitored probe into the matter.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post